If you are using a TPM enabled home or office computer system or laptop then it is possible that you can receive a message in Windows Defender Security Center which is “you need to update your security processor or TPM firmware.” In this condition, you need to update it on priority. So for your comfort, we are suggesting you a simple process to Clear TPM & Update TPM security processor firmware.
Importance of TPM in Windows 10:
Trusted Platform Module, also abbreviated as TPM, is a customized chip present on an endpoint device. It can store RSA encryption keys to the host system for hardware authentication. The Trusted Platform Module chip also knows an RSA key pair which is called the Endorsement Key. You can see this pair inside the chip and it cannot be accessed by software. At last, we can say that it is able to store some essential data including Fingerprints, Facial data, etc. in this chip.
Know How to Update TPM security processor firmware:
Usually, for the update of a TPM, it can behold a patch for a security vulnerability that can affect the operating system security. The update will address the vulnerability which you will need to download and install. It can also be possible that firmware updates are sent by OEMs which are usually faster compared to Windows Update.
Let the Download and install Windows Updates:
Here you will get a perfect way to update your TPM. If you want you can set your update manually as per your comfort.
- First, you need to check if you have an update that includes a security patch.
- In the automatic update, it will automatically download and install.
- Then you will see a notification in Action Center which will tell you to restart your computer system.
Warning- Please do not start TPM firmware update from OEMs before installing the Windows operating system update. Because in that case, Windows will be not be able to remove any infection from your computer system.
Start the Installation of Firmware updates by OEMs:
Many OEMs are providing Firmware Updates separately such as Microsoft. If TPM firmware update were not included in Windows Update, you will have to download and apply it manually. Below is the list of OEMs from where you can download the update. You can always check your manufacturer from here.
Clear the TPM:
- After completing the firmware update installation process through the Windows Update or from the OEM website.’
- You need to clear your TPM because it is essential to make sure that your data is secured.
- Before proceeding and following above given steps. You need to make sure to backup your TPM data because you can restore them later.
- TPM clearing will reset your security processor to its default settings.
Suggestion- Do not skips any of the steps which is mentioned below.
Please follow the below-given steps to clear the TPM.
- Head over to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Device security.
- This will open the Windows Defender Security Center.
- Choose the Device Security again, and then go to the under of Security processor and choose Security processor details.
- Go to the next screen and select the Security processor troubleshooting, and then go to the under Clear TPM and click on the Clear TPM button.
- It will help you to reset your security processor to its default settings.
- You need to restart your computer system after completing the process.
We hope that this post will help you to Update and Clear TPM Security Processor Firmware.
Firmware is a kind of malware, and to protect your device against malware, Norton antivirus is the best option. To know more, visit norton.com/setup or www.norton.com/setup. If you want to get any help then you can connect with Norton Customer Support by dialing Norton toll free number.